Peter Snow's Great Rail Restorations, Queen Victoria's railway carriage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Snow's Great Rail Restorations, Queen Victoria's railway carriage

Now the programme's been broadcast I can at last share this six month restoration adventure. As time permits I will be talking about various aspects of the work and responding to any questions you may have. Firstly, it was a genuine six month restoration and as soon as broadcast took place the coach entered traffic (yesterday actually, serving Queen Victoria's favourite food and drink on the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Railway). All right, I admit the under frame from an ex LNWR ambulance coach, the only one I could find narrow enough for he body, was reduced in length by 2'6", received new headstocks, gusset plates etc, grit blasted and painted by contractors before the restoration proper as I had to ensure the under frame was suitable. This took approx two weeks and filming days over the six months were in excess of three weeks when little if any work took place so I feel justified. The clock started ticking for real when we craned the body from its' car park residence at Bolton Abbey Station on to the under frame, together with another Royal carriage, Prince Albert Edwards saloon (later becoming King Edward VII). This was put on to an accommodation under frame when eventually I will make and fit the missing metalwork to the original wood under frame - another story. This 19th century Royal train, looking like it had seen far better days, made its' way slowly to Embsay's restoration building to begin work.

On this project I used Tricoya for the panelling. Normally I use Plywood and up until recently it would perform well, 20 plus years service. Now even the expensive marine ply does not seem to last well. Tricoya looks like MDF only a lot more expensive so I was initially suspicious. I broke a sample and left it in water for a month.... no swelling and cutting through it no water absorption. It is made from Eucalyptus, treated with acetic acids and advanced adhesives and has been used for seaside dwellings in Germany for some time. It gave a great paint finish.

Comment

Working...
    X