This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.

Back to Search page

Clopton Bridge and Toll House

At the crossing of the Avon in Stratford there is a medieval bridge, now a scheduled Ancient Monument, and a unique ten-sided toll house. Both are listed Grade I.

Region:
Warwickshire
Red Wheel Site:
No
Transport Mode(s):
Road
Address:
Clopton Bridge, Stratford upon Avon, CV37 6YY
Postcode:
CV37 6YY
Visitor Centre:
No
Website:

About Clopton Bridge and Toll House

Clopton Bridge is located in Stratford-upon-Avon. It is a masonry arch bridge with 14 pointed spans over the River Avon, crossing at the place where the river was forded in Saxon times, and which gave the town its name. The bridge carries the A3400 road over the river.

Clopton bridge was built in 1480, financed by Hugh Clopton of Clopton House, who later became Lord Mayor of London. It replaced a timber bridge which may have dated back to 1318. Two arches were rebuilt in 1524.

The bridge was again repaired in 1588 following flooding, and in 1642 after an arch had been destroyed to block the army of Oliver Cromwell. In 1696, money was raised to heighten the parapets, which were as low as four inches in places. The bridge was widened on the north side (upstream) in 1811.

A cast iron footbridge was added to the north side in 1827.

In 1812 the possibility was considered of installing a Toll Gate across Clopton Bridge to raise revenue and in 1813 the right to run the Toll Gate was auctioned. The highest bidder, a Thomas Keen, won the right by a very high bid of £535.0s.0d.  In 1814 a ten sided Toll House was built with oak boards, 4 grates, a meat safe and a deal cupboard with 5 shelves.

Toll Charges were:

Coach drawn by 6 horses 1s6d

Coach drawn by 4 horses 1s0d

Coach drawn by 2 horses 0s 6d

Coach drawn by 1 horse 0s 3d

Wagons 1s 0d

Cart drawn by 3 horses or beasts 0s 9d

Cart drawn by less than 3 beasts 0s 6d

Horse and rider 0s 1d

Oxen / cattle 0s 3d per score

Calves / swine / sheep 0s 5d per score

In 1812 Mr Hopcroft, the Tollgate keeper, was ordered to produce a list of persons convicted under the ‘˜Bridge Act' each quarter. If a person was convicted of ' unlawfully or maliciously burn, blow up or pull down or destroy the said bridge' transportation for life. Damage to the Toll House would attract a fine not exceeding £10.00 with costs

By 1820 the Toll House had fallen into disrepair and in 1839 due to loss of traffic the levying of tolls came to an end. James Cox moved his timber Yard business to Avon Warf from another part of the town and rented the Toll House at £7.00 per annum later reduced to £5.00 per annum.

By road: Clopton Bridge carries the A3400 across the Avon in Stratford. The toll house is on the north side of the river.

 


Addison, Sir William.
The Old Roads of England     ISBN 0 7134 1714 5 (1980)

Albert, W.
The Turnpike Road System in England 1663- 1840. Camb. Univ. Press. ISBN O 5210 3391 8 (1972)

Harrison, David.
The Bridges of Medieval England. Oxford. ISBN 978-0-19-922685-6 (2004)

Hindle, P.
Roads and Tracks for Historians. ISBN 1 86077 182 3 (2001)

Hindley, G.
History of the Roads. Peter Davies. ISBN 0 8065 0290 8 (1971)

Jackson, Gibbard.
From Track to Highway. (1935)

Jervoise, E.
Ancient Bridges of England. Architectural Press. (1932)

Richards, J.M., The National Trust Book of Bridges, Jonathan Cape, 1984, ISBN 0-224-02106-0

Sheldon, G. From Trackway to Turnpike. Oxfd. Univ. Press. (1928)

Taylor, C.
Roads and Tracks of Britain. ISBN 0 460 04329 3 (1979)


Copyright © 2018 The Transport Trust. All rights reserved. The Transport Trust is a registered UK charity No. 280943 Registered address: First Floor, 26 Station Approach,Hinchley Wood, Esher, Surrey, KT10 0SR. Registered in England No. 1509733.