Extravagant and impressive entry point to the superior seaside resort developed by the Duke of Devonshire.
Eastbourne Station, Terminus Road, Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN21 3QJ.
Eastbourne was laid out by the landowner, the Duke of Devonshire. The first station was built in 1849 as the town was developing as a superior residential and resort location. The success of the town led to a growth in traffic and the present station was built in 1886.
It is an extravagant but likable mixture of French and Italian style and reflects the confidence and affluence of the place and the time. It is dominated by a large pagoda like lantern to illuminate the interior and a clock tower with a French-style pyramidal roof.
The station is at the end of a short branch and all trains running between Lewes and Hastings have to reverse out of the station.
By road: On A259, Terminus Road.
Biddle, Gordon, Britain's Historic Railway Buildings, Oxford University Press, ISBN-10: 0198662475 (2003)
Biddle, Gordon & Nock, O.S., The Railway Heritage of Britain : 150 years of railway architecture and engineering, Studio Editions, ISBN-10: 1851705953 (1990)
Biddle, Gordon and Simmons, J. The Oxford Companion to British Railway History. ISBN 0 19 211697 5 (1997)
British Transport Commission, Handbook of Stations ... on the Railways of Great Britain and Ireland, Railway Clearing House (1956)
Conolly, W. Philip, British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas And Gazetteer, Ian Allan Publishing, ISBN 0-7110-0320-3 (1958/97)
Mitchell, Victor & Smith, Keith, Brighton to Eastbourne (South Coast Railway Albums, Middleton Press, ISBN-10: 0906520169 (1985)
Mitchell, Victor & Smith, Keith, Eastbourne to Hastings (South Coast Railway Albums, Middleton Press, ISBN-10: 0906520274 (1986)
Surtees, Dr John Eastbourne, A History, Phillimore, ISBN 0 86077 226 9 (2002)