Back to Search page

Newcastle Swing Bridge

Designed by Sir William Armstrong and located on the site of Roman and medieval bridges.


Region:
Tyne & Wear
Red Wheel Site:
No
Transport Mode(s):
Road
Address:

Bridge Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear NE1 8AN

Postcode:
NE1 8AN
Visitor Centre:
No
Website:

About Newcastle Swing Bridge

The Swing Bridge was built by the Tyne Improvement Commission, under powers conferred by the Tyne Improvement Act of 1861, as part of their overall plan for improving navigation and expanding trade by opening the upper reaches of the river to larger vessels. The bridge was designed and constructed by Sir W.G. Armstrong and Company Ltd of Elswick, the work being begun in the year 1873. It was first used for road traffic on the 15th June 1876 and opened for river traffic on the 17th July 1876.

The Swing Bridge is the fourth bridge built over the Tyne at Newcastle on the same site. The first, constructed of wood and stone about the year 120 A.D. by the Emperor Hadrian was known as Pons Aelii, Aelius being the patronymic of the Emperor. This bridge stood until 1248 when it was destroyed by a fire, which also destroyed a great part of the town. The second or Mediaeval Bridge was of stone construction and stood from the year 1320 until a section of it was washed away in the great flood of 1771. The remaining portions had to be removed and the third bridge, constructed of stone with nine arches, was completed in 1781. This bridge was removed by the Commission to make way for the construction of the Swing Bridge.

The foundations are concrete filled cast iron cylinders which are set in bed rock. Granite piers rest upon the cylinders at a little above the height of low water. The weight of the swinging portion of the bridge is carried by the centre pier. The bridge is 170.688m long and 14.478m wide and consists of six spans, four of which are over the river and two over land. The two centre spans make up the swinging portion, which is 85.649m long and weighs about 1,300 tons. The land spans are composed of five main iron girders of arched form, the north span being about 11.6m long and the south about 10m. The fixed river spans consist of two iron main girders of box construction with riveted stiffeners, the north span being 32.6m long and the south about 26.8m long.

The swinging portion is a continuous girder over two spans, each of which gives a clear waterway of about 31.4m. It consists of two main iron girders of triangular construction with curved top boom and a straight bottom boom. When turning about 900 tons of the total weight of 1,300 tons of the swinging portion is supported by an hydraulic centre press which reduces the effects of friction and wear and tear on the forty-two 9,144mm diameter rollers which turn on a roller path of about 13.1m diameter. The bridge, when open to road traffic, is supported at the end by cast iron blocks moved and locked into position under the girders by hydraulic rams. The motive power for operating the bridge is supplied by hydraulic engines worked by electrically driven pumps to a pressure of about 49 kg cm2 and all machinery is duplicated as an insurance against breakdowns.

The first ship to pass through the bridge on the 17th July 1876, was the Italian Transport "Europa" on her way to take on board the 100-ton gun built by Sir W.G. Armstrong & Company Limited at Elswick Engine and Ordnance Works for the Government of Italy. Since that occasion the Bridge opened 286,281 times up to the 31st December 1981, allowing 448,090 vessels of over 220 million total net tonnes to pass through and looking to present day the Bridge opens approximately four times per week.

By road: On Bridge Street, off A167

By rail: Short walk from Newcastle Central rail and Metro stations

Addison, Sir William, The Old Roads of England, Batsford, ISBN 0 7134 1714 5 (1980)

Albert, W., The Turnpike Road System in England 1663-1840, Cambridge University Press, ISBN O 5210 3391 8 (1972)

Barker, Theo, The Rise and Rise of Road Transport, 1700-1990, Cambridge University Press, ISBN-10 0521557739 (1995)

Codrington, Thomas, Roman Roads in Britain: Early Britain, Kessinger Publishing, ISBN-10 0548240310 (2007)

Davies, Hugh, Roads in Roman Britain, History Press, ISBN-10 0752425030 (2008)

Davies, Hugh, Roman Roads, Shire, ISBN-10 074780690X (2008)

Harrison, David, The Bridges of Medieval England: Transport and Society 400-1800, Oxford University Press, ISBN-10: 0199226857 (2007)

Hindle, P., Roads and Tracks for Historians, Phillimore & Co, ISBN-10: 1860771823 (2001)

Hindley, G., History of the Roads, Peter Davies, ISBN 0 8065 0290 8 (1971)

Jackson, Gibbard, From Track to Highway, Nicholson and Watson, ASIN B00085R4D8 (1935)

Jervoise, E., Ancient Bridges of England, Architectural Press, ASIN B00085PLDI (1932)

Johnston, David, An Illustrated History of Roman Roads in Britain, Spur Books, ISBN-10 0904978338 (1979)

Peel, J. H. B., Along the Roman Roads of Britain, Macmillan, ISBN-10: 0330239309 (1976)

Sheldon, G., From Trackway to Turnpike, Oxford University Press, ASIN B001N2GS2S (1928)

Smiles, Samuel, The Life of Thomas Telford Civil Engineer with an Introductory History of Roads and Travelling in Great Britain (1867), The Echo Library, ISBN-10: 1406805866 (2006)

Taylor, C., Roads and Tracks of Britain, Littlehampton Books, ISBN 0 460 04329 3 (1979)

Copyright © 2017 The Transport Trust. All rights reserved. The Transport Trust is a registered UK charity No. 280943 Registered address: First Floor, 26 Station Approach,Hinchley Wood, Esher, Surrey, KT10 0SR. Registered in England No. 1509733.