Back to Search page

Pulteney Bridge, Bath

Handsome Robert Adam building offering shops across the full span on both sides of the road.
Region:
Avon
Red Wheel Site:
No
Transport Mode(s):
Road
Address:
Argyle Street, Bath, Avon BA2 4AY
Postcode:
BA2 4AY
Visitor Centre:
No
Website:

About Pulteney Bridge, Bath

Pulteney Bridge crosses the River Avon, in Bath. It was completed in 1773 and is designated by English Heritage as a Grade I Listed Building. It is also a scheduled Ancient Monument.

The bridge was designed by Robert Adam, whose working drawings are preserved in the Sir John Soane Museum in London. It  is one of only four bridges in the world with shops across the full span on both sides.

It is named after Frances Pulteney, heiress in 1767 of the Bathwick estate across the river from Bath. Bathwick was a simple village in a rural setting, but Frances's husband William could see its potential. He made plans to create a new town, which would become a suburb to the historic city of Bath. First he needed a better river crossing than the existing ferry - hence the bridge.

Pulteney approached the brothers Robert and James Adam with his new town in mind, but Robert Adam then became involved in the design of the bridge. In his hands the simple construction envisaged by Pulteney became an elegant structure lined with shops. Adam had visited both Florence and Venice, where he would have seen the Ponte Vecchio and the Ponte di Rialto. But Adam's design more closely followed Andrea Palladio's rejected design for the Rialto.

Pulteney Bridge stood for less than 20 years in the form that Adam created. In 1792 alterations to enlarge the shops marred the elegance of the fa§ades. Floods in 1799 and 1800 wrecked the north side of the bridge, which had been constructed with inadequate support. It was rebuilt by John Pinch senior, surveyor to the Pulteney estate, in a less ambitious version of Adam's design.

19th-century shopkeepers altered windows, or cantilevered extensions out over the river as the fancy took them. The western end pavilion on the south side was demolished in 1903 for road widening and its replacement was not an exact match.

In 1936 the bridge became scheduled as a National Monument, and plans were made for the restoration of the original fa§ade. The restoration was completed in time for the Festival of Britain in 1951, with further work being carried out in 1975.

By road: Off A303, High Street. Argyle Street which crosses the bridge is an extension of Bridge Street.

Barker, Theo, The Rise and Rise of Road Transport, 1700-1990, Cambridge University Press, ISBN-10 0521557739 (1995)

Codrington, Thomas,
Roman Roads in Britain: Early Britain, Kessinger Publishing, ISBN-10 0548240310 (2007)

Davies, Hugh,
Roads in Roman Britain, History Press, ISBN-10 0752425030 (2008)

Davies, Hugh,
Roman Roads, Shire, ISBN-10 074780690X (2008)

Harrison, David,
The Bridges of Medieval England: Transport and Society 400-1800, Oxford University Press, ISBN-10: 0199226857 (2007)

Hindle, P.,
Roads and Tracks for Historians, Phillimore & Co, ISBN-10: 1860771823 (2001)

Hindley, G.,
History of the Roads, Peter Davies, ISBN 0 8065 0290 8 (1971)

Jackson, Gibbard,
From Track to Highway, Nicholson and Watson, ASIN B00085R4D8 (1935)

Jervoise, E.,
Ancient Bridges of England, Architectural Press, ASIN B00085PLDI (1932)

Johnston, David,
An Illustrated History of Roman Roads in Britain, Spur Books, ISBN-10 0904978338 (1979)

Manco, Jean,
Pulteney Bridge, Architectural History (1995)

Copyright © 2017 The Transport Trust. All rights reserved. The Transport Trust is a registered UK charity No. 280943 Registered address: First Floor, 26 Station Approach,Hinchley Wood, Esher, Surrey, KT10 0SR. Registered in England No. 1509733.